jon's blog

i could go on for 40 days and 40 nights about my blog title and bore you to bits and pieces with 10,000 different ideas i actually had for the name of this blog but because of the 500 characters limit that is imposed upon this mechanism which, by the way, is supposed to promote free speech, i shall shorten it to just two words basically describing what the hell this is all about and who this hell belongs to.
Monday, February 04, 2008

there's a hole in my mouth

i gave two solid knocks on the door. a solid wooden door like that definitely deserved an equally solid knock. not just one in fact, but two.

through the opaque glass that was set in the door, i could make out about four people inside the room. all of them, obviously anticipating what i had to present. the fact that i was only twenty-three only made them all the more excited.

'hi, i'm the MG chap!' i introduced myself as i pushed the creaky door open. i thought to myself that two solid knocks were severely undeserved as the door screamed for a burst of lubricant.

'thanks for seeing me on such short notice' i said, trying my best to muster a smile. it must have looked like a lop-sided one, come to think of it. bloody nerves just don't work when i'm nervous.

i took a seat and maintained that lop-sided smile with the other four people in the room. i think they must have noticed and expected it. but the kindly lady directly in front of me told me to relax. she asked a few questions of formality, perhaps to make me feel more relaxed. perhaps to set the mood of things to come.

'come...' she said.

'what?!' my mind exclaimed.

'come,' she continued 'i want to see you smile for me, i want to see the lack of symmetry!'

i couldn't help but think of what a mad plastic surgeon, Dr. J.S. Steiman, once said in an Xbox 360 game. Bioshock, to be exact
Aphrodite is walking the halls - shimmering, like a scalpel...
'Steinman,' she calls, 'Steinman! I have what you're looking for! Just
open your eyes!' And when I see her, she cuts into me a thousand
beautiful pieces.

Today I had lunch with the Goddess, 'Steinman,' she said...
'I'm here to free you from the tyranny of the commonplace.
I'm here to show you a new kind of beauty.'
I asked her, 'What do you mean, Goddess?'
'Symmetry, dear Steinman.
It's time we did something about symmetry...'

none the less, i did that lop-sided smile that was so characteristic of me these days. she proceeded to do the same with my hands. my arms. my legs. i felt a bit like the Vitruvian man. except fully-clothed, less lithe and perhaps with a better hair-stylist.

suffice to say, she touched me in places where i've never thought of touching before. and believe me when i tell you that i touch myself a lot. one by one, i was examined by the other three people in the room. they all gave weird stares. some of inquisitiveness, some of curiousness. but all of them refrained from passing a comment.

for some reason the novelty of touching a twenty-three year old gay man in bizarre places seemed to pass within twenty minutes. three people left the room, leaving me and the kindly lady who told me to 'come', alone. she grabbed my wrists, and suddenly applied a great exertion against me. i felt pinned down despite the fact that she was no heavy than forty-five kilograms.

failing to push me back, she reached for my feet instead, trying her best to topple me over.

'i seriously need a gym membership' i thought to myself.

it wasn't till a good five minutes later, when we sat back on our respective chairs. pent up, and exhausted from the excessive pushing. no prodding, i thought with relief.

'well, it's not MG, for sure' she smiled to me.

--

it all started three days ago when i was smoking. i kept making squeaky noises with my lips when i placed my cigarette on the left side of my mouth. when i smoked on the right side of my mouth, the only things i emitted was a puff of smoke.

it got worse when i tried drinking soup. i actually leaked. from the right side of my mouth! it got worse the next day when i tried to wink at someone and discovered that i couldn't wink on my right side. i could muster something that looked like a perverted old man with a history of stroke trying to make a pass at some sweet, young thing. yes, it's that scary! so i told Pangkeng about what has been going on with me. who told my gay colleague. who told several other colleagues. who told my supervisor. this particular su pervisor is my favourite one apparently. she's young, she's quite happening and she's intelligent, armed with a Masters in Nursing. she even brought Pangkeng and me out with her husband to St. James once. we went back home, having polished off a bottle of Jack Daniels. it was a black-labelled one. and we didn't foot a single cent. she even has a pet dog at home. and i like people with pets.

she told me to close both eyes. with which i did with lop-sidedness. she told me to smile. which i did with the same seemingly half-heartedness. and she gave me this serious-look which seemed to say 'you might have to be put on a ventilator for life if the worse comes to worst because it might be a fatal disease you're having.' of course, she never said that. she said to me: 'it might be MG'. and lo and behold, i just blurted out the words 'Myasthenia Gravis?' it's one of those rare epiphanic moments when something which you've studied during your student years suddenly just pops up once again. and like old acquaintances, you embrace or you just study it again. except this time, it's embracing me so tightly that i can't wink at people or smoke with a cool demeanour.

of course, i tried to play it down and tell her, 'Maybe it's Bell's Palsy lah!' two things crossed my mind at this time, the first being 'Where are these bizarre medical terms popping up from when i got a horrid C5 grading for my anatomy and physiology during my nursing student days?' the other thought was, 'Doesn't Bell's Palsy have some small minute scientific connection to a certain strain of Herpes Simplex? Wait, when was the last time i had sex? Oh, three months. Or was it weeks? Oh i just had sex with the janitor three hours ago. Haha, just playing tricks on my mind!'

none the less, my favourite supervisor made some important-looking calls to several people she worked with at the neurology department previously. and believe me, she had to make a lot of calls because it was a Saturday and stethoscope-wielding health-care professionals were rushing off to have brunch and/or sex. within fifteen minutes, she came back with a piece of rough paper with instructions to look for a Burmese neurologist-on-call at a neurology ward in the hospital.

to which i proceed to of course. of course, i must not neglect to mention that i managed to take up practically a half-hour to settle some discharges, order a carton of Ensure (a nutritious mix of strawberry-flavoured milk and i think, protein) for a home bound patient, serve some medication, chit-chat with some people, clear up some lunch trays, work-related stuff, BEFORE i managed to run off for my impromptu appointment. such is an Asian working environment. you can be stroking, but they don't care. they would rather see you attempt to change that diaper while you are fitting in a patient's shit than send you off to the Emergency Department.

and thus i made my way. the neurologist-on-call was really a kindly young lady. like all Burmese people i have met in my life so far, she was patient and really hospitable (while all this was happening in a hospital, hur hur. okay, not funny). she tried to get me to raise my eyebrows, smile, close my eyes, open my mouth, stick out my tongue. to which there was an obvious deficit in the right side. she proceeded to try some motion exercises with which she was trying to prove there was some right-sided weakness with my right arm and limbs. apparently, it was isolated to my face only.

she was convinced that it was nothing more serious than Bell's Palsy. i had a fever last week which might have caused swelling somewhere along my face and thus causing one isolated facial nerve to function half-heartedly. it's treatable with steroids and anti-viral meds for that nasty herpes virus. i'm a knowledge whore. so i immediately wiki-ed Bell's Palsy. the prognosis is generally good. requiring a usual three weeks to see some progress and three to six months for complete recovery. what? three to six months??????????? what are the Catholic kids living opposite me going to say?????????? UNCLE, why is it you can only smile with one side of your face??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

i reported the news back to my supervisor. with which she gave me a very reassuring smile. i returned the smile with my not-so-reassuring version of a smile. for the rest of the afternoon, the rest of my colleagues were suddenly extra kind to me. they offered to help me serve my meds, thinking that i might be put on an artificial respirator within the hour. they constantly watched over me, ready to catch me when i showed signs of epilepsy. i felt reassured, yet at the same time irritated. to which i summarized to Pangkeng and my gay colleague,

'i'm not that afraid to die really. and even if i do, you guys will be there to make sure that when i'm on my death bed, you will make sure i'm a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) case. you see, i'm such a considerate patient! really, i'm tried all four vices of life, i'm not interested in a relationship, i'm twenty-three and this will prolly be the only few years when i'm happy to die now. so even if i die now, i'll die with no regrets. well, except for not going to a Mardi Gras yet.'

i thought it was a bit harsh. Pangkeng obviously didn't know what Mardi Gras was. and my gay colleague knew i was prolly joking about it as well. and so, i dithered about myself for the rest of the shift. of course, i couldn't help stoning out and contemplating the future of one-sided facial weakness. what if it gets worse? what if the MG i really wanted wasn't Mardi Gras but Myasthenia Gravis? what if what if. how come nobody thinks of positive 'what ifs'? as i walked to the train station with Pangkeng and the gay colleague that afternoon after shift, we were quietly smoking our cigarettes and making minor small talk. i tried to lighten the mood by making stupid jokes about one-sided facial weakness. apparently, i think they were irritated with my method of coping with what seemed to them, a crippling facial disease. i felt bad for patronizing them. so i decided to feed them with what they wanted by being serious for once.

i decided to visit the Emergency Department yesterday. in my hospital, no less. the doctor prescribed steroids and acyclovir and gave me three days of medical leave. i'd already taken one day for fever at the beginning of the week, so i felt bad for taking another at the end of the week (horrid, Asian working environment). as i handed over my medical certificate over to a different supervisor who was on shift, she taught me a few idiotic-looking facial exercises (she was neuro-trained). to which i actually decided to do occasionally at home.

i went home that Sunday, feeling unworried about my condition, and more guilty about taking medical leave for a sunday afternoon. sunday afternoons were always busy in our wards. Pangkeng was working that Sunday afternoon and i felt extra bad about leaving a brother in the lurch. the only good reason i could come up with was that i didn't get to sleep the previous night since i could only close my right eye to a maximum of 75%. i even tried putting scotch tape on my eye. which i had a hard time washing off after that. i say, try washing your face with facial wash when you cannot close your eyes properly.

and just in case you're wondering, i still look normal. the only good thing now is that i can drool at hot men in public and blame it on Bell's Palsy.

posted at 10:11 am by the nurse | Permalink |

24 Comments:

I do hope you feel (or smile) better soon! But seriously, "Hi, I'm the MG chap!"?! I'm just glad it isn't MS either, because that would really suck. How soon will you recover? Also, didn't the tape pull your eyelashes out? :S

Hehehe, Mardi Gras and Myasthenia Gravis have the same initials, I didn't realize that... Okay nevermind. It's not really a big deal though, Mardi Gras. I really have no desire to look at the boobs of every teenage and/or college girl in the city, nor do I have the dying wish of throwing them beads I would have bought with my own money (speaking of Mardi Gras beads... would you like some as a souvenir? ;P).

Speaking of which, I'm coming home soon, so give me your requests for gifts soon, yeah? I will see if I can get or not.
By Blogger prawninator, at 3:07 pm  

I've had Bell's Palsy. Twice. It's not fun, but recovery is usually pretty swift--within a few weeks I was smiling and drinking out of glasses again.

Buy a box of drinking straws--they make it much easier to drink. Get some eyewash and use a sleep blindfold (like you get from an airplane trip) and eyewash to keep your eyes moist when you wake up.

Good luck, and I love the picture.
By Blogger Chris, at 4:49 pm  

Just wanted to send you best wishes for a speedy recovery mate.

Simon
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:16 am  

Hey... Take good care of yourself okay? Perhaps it will make you smoke less during this period of time. Lol~

I'll say... You must be either very lucky, or have a very good social relationship to have people going out of the way, tapping into resources and contacts to help you wihout you asking for it.
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:01 am  

Get well soon. I enjoy your blog and it would suck if you were to die and thus be unable to keep writing it.
By Blogger sterlinglush, at 2:28 am  

Do take care.
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:53 am  

Congrats on a really good blog, no, congrats on a really great blog.
By Blogger Perry Neeham, at 7:01 pm  

Yes, I agree with Marshall, it would be terrible if I had to stop following your adventures just because you're dead... cheers and recover soon...
By Blogger Mel, at 9:16 pm  

Get well soon, my dear nurse!

and leave those BJs for a while :P

dr brachy
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:09 am  

hopefully u get well soon.
n if u were to gawk at gorgeous men on the street, don't forget to bring a bib along. its only polite to wipe your drool away. ;P
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:31 am  

Jon, We need cute bloggers! Good luck,

Terry
London
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:05 am  

oh now you have gotten a new gay collegue? is he new?
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 am  

hey jon, im glad ur ok. ms is serious stuff man
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:54 am  

i was a bit worried when i read..
happy a speedy recover...
and u WILL one day go the mardi gras...
and we should meet up b4 we both expire..
and whrs the tag box??
LOL..
By Blogger SAZALI M, at 1:00 pm  

poor...get well soon k...and eat less bak qua, bak see, "dan juan" and ong lai tart...

hehe...sounds like your mum...

kidding..

happy CNY!! wish you 'ong lai' in your pocket in 2008!! :)
By Blogger asianthirst, at 5:59 pm  

Thank God you don't have MG! Had me worried for a second. Then again, you'd get tired in the evenings and I'd be able to do dirty indescribable stuff to you in the ward closet.

Hope you get over your Bell's early enough to celebrate the New Year's! Gong xi gong xi, my friend.
By Blogger savante, at 6:46 pm  

sorry you missed Mardi Gras, it was the best in a while, the city is FINALLY starting to feel like the old Nawlans(that's how we actually say it).
2 things: grow back the facial hair. and find a BF- the father may hate the sin, but it will make him happy that you're in a relationship-and he'll blame the BF for your condition instead of you-no more pressure! well,maybe not. Here's hoping you get better soon, you're too young to be so sick,take care of yourself.
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:54 am  

all i can say is, thank god its curable. :/
your paul frank tee is still with me!!
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:06 am  

prawninator: Madi Gras beads sounds nice. and no worries man, i'm really coping very well. just that, i wished steroid medication came in strawberry or bubble tea flavours. if they can make medications that save humankind from one-sided facial paralysis, why can't they just make them more palatable? pharmaceutical companies... tsk!

chris: thanks. i've taken up your drinking straws suggestions and saved myself a whole lot of embarrassment. and constantly lubricated my eyes with saline. prob is, now i can't tell the hot men from the hotter men.

simon: thanks luv. i just realized that your comment says 'simon said'. simon says. simon says. hur hur.

celexter: it pays to be nice to be everyone, i say. and yes, i will take your advice of smoking much lesser these days. thanks.

marshall: CHOY!!! it takes more than one-sided facial paralysis to kill Jon.

perry neeham: like what they did to your moniker pic. hawt! thanks for the compliments btw.

mel: once again, CHOY! i'm very much alive, thank you for wishing that i would stay that way. now, to forward these wishes to God and pray for that extension of life contract.

brachy: yeap. sound solid advice which i will follow. thanks brachy.

v: i'll bring along mops as well. it gets quite uncontrollable sometimes.

terry: heh. i satisfied enough with 'we need bloggers.' cute is a tad overrrated. but i'll graciously accept all compliments all the same!

mick: oh he's the plus-sized gay colleague that i seldom mention about. the one that entertains with his renditions of Rihanna and Dreamgirls when i'm working with him. he's great fun to be with.

rilek: thanks. hope all is well with you too.

ragus: oh yah. tagbox. paiseh. but thanks for the well-wishes.

asianthirst: i think i agree with that. you can be my online mother. none the less. gong hei!

savante: hey. thanks Mr. Registrar. hope that things are fine with you in M'sia. wan shi ru yi. when can i start calling you Mr. Consultant?

neo: wah. tactical approach to bring in a boyfriend for the new year. alas, not very interested in love right now. but i'll keep that in mind when the right opportune presents.
By Blogger the nurse, at 12:06 pm  

sun: oh yah. then you please remember to bring the next time hor!
By Blogger the nurse, at 12:07 pm  

Enough artificial cherry flavored medicines for me, dude.

Anyway about the beads, a little late for those; Mardi Gras is over and I'm on my way home... literally. Sitting in the airport right now :P
By Blogger prawninator, at 1:40 am  

OK - I take back the "cute"...er...can I have a "hunky"???

Terry
London
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:42 am  

This comment has been removed by the author.
By Blogger Unknown, at 10:19 am  

"tried all four vices of life" - What are YOUR 4 vices of life?

As for the beads and Mardi Gras thing, I'm sure you meant the GAY Mardi Gras in Sydney and not the one in New Orleans right?

I hope you have stopped drooling and eaten your year's quota of bak kwa by the time you read this comment.

And Have a Prosperous Year of the Rodent!
By Blogger Unknown, at 10:21 am  

Post a Comment


<--Home

About Me


Name: the nurse
Home: Singapore
About Me: i'm a nurse, i'm gay, i smoke, i play the piano, i patronize the theatre, i flip through glossy magazines for no apparent reason, i love sex, i am a left-handed libran, i watch art-house films mostly, i love house music, and did i say i love sex?
See my complete profile


powered by ODEO
Recent Entries

the departure of the satanic neighbour
fourteen years in Chua Chu Kang
caught between an uncle and an education
Someone's mom
how to link poetry and liver together in a single ...
Rueben
project 355: of cooks, cocks, broth & sex
project 355: merry christmas, y'all!
project 355: how my father nearly stole christmas ...
project 355: a gay man and his shoes

Days of the Lives of the People I Know

JY's Right Up Your Alley
Inquesasa's Tripping To The Stars
Skye's Accidental Blowjob
Hafriz' Did I Say That?
Sunanthar's (japanese words i can't decipher)
Perlin thinks white men don't understand
Dom's Closeted Despondence
Aiman's kittyeatdog

Random People I Don't Know (I don't even know their full names!)

Bedtime Stories
exitlude
xoussef's ...
s3xyethan's NTU experience

Stuff I Look At When I'm Not Surfing Porn

Threadless T-Shirts
Ginch Gonch
Graniph Design T-shirts
Crown Dozen
Nintendo DS Roms
The AV Club
Feast of Fools: the gay podcast

Archives

December 2005
January 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
May 2009
June 2009
home

Why Do I Have To Put These Things Here?

design by maystar
powered by blogger
'hacked' by JY Locations of visitors to this page
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com